Tuesday, March 12, 2013

New (Required) I-9 Forms for New Employees


On March 8, 2013, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a revised Form I-9, which employers should begin using for all new hires (and those being "re-verified").  Under the new rules,  after May 7, 2013, employers must only use the revised Form I-9 dated 03/08/13 for all new hires and reverifications.  Employers are not required to complete the new Form I-9 for current employees if a properly completed Form I-9 is already on file, and employers may continue to use previously accepted revisions (I-9 Forms dated 02/02/09 and 08/07/09) until May 7, 2013. 
The revised Form I-9 includes new fields in Section 1 for employees to provide their email address, telephone number.  It also includes new sections for aliens, requesting additional information about their work status. 
The revised Form I-9 also contains six pages of instructions rather than three, which the USCIS hopes will provide clearer directions to both the employee and the employer about how to complete the Form I-9.
To get the new form, you can click on the following link: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf 

No comments:

Post a Comment